Here is how I like to contribute to the amazing WordPress project.
I like to get involved in the WordPress community, as it’s a pleasant way to give back to WordPress what WordPress allows me to accomplish with Virtuaza and patriciabt.com, and, in the future, with WPMondo (previously GatheringWP)= and Interaction.Site.
I co-organise the WordPress meetups in Geneva since 2013. This group have been created in 2012 by Paolo Belcastro and Jenia Laszlo, and when they left Geneva, 2-3 of us took the group in charge. We organise monthly meetups from September to June, and talk about various topics for all kind of knowledge level. We like to be very inclusive and friendly, and always follow the meetups by a dinner out.
I have also been part of the WordCamps organisation teams in Geneva in 2016, Bern in 2017, Lausanne 2018, Zurich 2019, Genève 2022 (
2020 postponed to 2022, due to COVID) and now WordCamp Switzerland 2023. I have been a speaker, a volunteer at WordCamp Europe in 2017, 2019 and 2022, among others or microsponsor in other WordCamps. See a full list below.
I love community and human relations centered projects, and I like everything open-source which allows everyone to have their voices heard (“Democratize publishing”). I have these values in common with WordPress and its code of conduct.
On WordCamp Lausanne site
The Code of Conduct
I love the Code of Conduct, that shows inclusivity and acceptance of everyone. Here below is an extract but you can read the full text here. When we organise WordPress events, or contribute as a speaker, volunteer or sponsor, we have to agree to this code and this enforce good behaviour, that should go without saying.
WordCamp XXX believes our community should be truly open for everyone. As such, we are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, religion, preferred operating system, programming language, or text editor.
Be considerate, respectful, and collaborative.
Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory or harassing behavior and speech.
Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert conference organizers if you notice a dangerous situation or someone in distress.
Participate in an authentic and active way. In doing so, you help to create WordCamp XXX and make it your own.
I love those and that corresponds to my basic values. I gave a presentation at WordCamp Marseille 2017 about that. “Apply to Code of Conduct in our everyday life” (in French)….
Another benefit is that I absolutely love to make friends, and attending WordCamps allows to meet great people from many different countries.
Speaking Experience at WordCamps
I was also scheduled to co-host a workshop at WordCamp Paris in 2020 with my friend Michelle Bulloch, but the event was canceled due to COVID
I have several talks ideas ready, in English, French and Italian, for a next round of WordCamps 🙂
Lausanne- Switzerland 2018 – talk
Lausanne- Switzerland 2018 – panel
Marseille – France 2017
Zurich – Switzerland 2014
26 May 2022 on WPTavern: Community Team Removes Red Tape From Regional WordCamp Applications
7 April 2022 on #WPDevMag: EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Patricia Brun Torre from WordCamp Genève
25 May 2020 on WordCamp Europe 2020 online edition, contributor stories
6 December 2019 on Yithemes website about WordCamp Milano 2019See capture
17 May 2016 on WordCamp Europe 2016 post about the community in Switzerland (among other countries)
Meet the European WordPress Communities – Austria, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Germany, Switzerland
On WordPress.tv (some WordCamps videos – and many meetups – were never uploaded there)
List of WordCamps I participated in (or to come)
Independent events, which are not officially WordCamps, are also mentioned (such as WPTech, WPSessions, WordFest Live).
My role is mentioned in bold/italic characters, if none is mentioned, it means that I was a happy simple attendee.
- WordCamp Switzerland – Venue/location and date to be announced, co-organiser in charge of sponsors
- WordCamp Italia in Milano – 11-12 November 2022,
- WordCamp Europe in Porto – Portugal, 2-4 June 2022, volunteer
and (independantly organised) side-event organiser on 1 June Picnic at the park
- WordCamp Genève – Switzerland, due to COVID-19, the WordCamp Genève (Geneva), initially planned for 20-21 March 2020 has been first postponed to 9-10 October 2020, then cancelled and was finally held on 9 April 2022, lead-organiser
- WordCamp Europe “online” – due to COVID-19, the event happened online on 3-5 June 2021
- WPSessions’ WordSesh EMEA (Europe, Middle-East, Africa) online event, 2 Sep 2020, speaker
- WordCamp Europe “online” – due to COVID-19, the event initially planned to be held in Porto, Portugal, 4-6 June 2020, became an online event
- WordCamp Paris – France, due to COVID-19, the WordCamp Paris, initially planned for 17 April 2020 has been postponed to a later date or cancelled, speaker
- WordCamp Genève, postponed, see 2022, lead-organiser
- WordCamp Milano – Italy, 22-23 November 2019, microsponsor with gatheringwp.com (now WPMondo)
- WordCamp Zurich – Switzerland, 13-14 September 2019, co-organiser in charge of sponsors
- WordCamp Europe in Berlin – Germany, 20-23 June 2019, volunteer
- Meetup-day (WordCamp style) Geneva, 9 March 2019, organiser
- WordCamp Milano – Italy, 16-17 November 2018, volunteer
- WordCamp Lausanne – Switzerland, 28-29 September 2018, co-organiser in charge of sponsors, replacement speaker (as 4 didn’t come!) and panel participant + bronze sponsor with Virtuaza
- WPTech in Lyon – France (out of official WordCamp program) 28 April 2018
- WordCamp Torino – Italy, 6-7 April 2018
- WordCamp Paris – France, 9 March 2018, backup speaker (everyone came, I didn’t talk )
- WordCamp Milano – Italy, 17-18 November 2017, volunteer
- WordCamp Marseille – France, 15 September 2017, speaker
- WordCamp Bern – Switzerland, 8-9 September 2017, co-organiser in charge of sponsors
- WordCamp Europe in Paris – France, 15-17 June 2017, volunteer
- WordCamp Torino – Italy, 7-8 April 2017, microsponsor with interaction.site
- WordCamp Geneva – Switzerland, 18-19 November 2016, lead-organiser,
microsponsor with interaction.site
- WordCamp Milano – Italy, 21-22 October 2016, microsponsor with CollectifWP
- WordCamp Europe in Vienna – Austria, 24-26 June 2016
- WordCamp Zurich – Switzerland, 19-20 September 2015, volunteer
- WordCamp Lyon – France, 5 June 2015
- WordCamp Paris – France, 23-24 January 2015, microsponsor with CollectifWP
- WordCamp Zurich – Switzerland, 3-4 May 2014, speaker (but the talk never made it onto WordPress TV)
- WordCamp Paris – France, 17-18 January 2014
- WordCamp Europe in Leiden – The Netherlands, 5-7 October 2013